There are so many ways for you to get involved in serving the greater community around us. Check out these opportunities!
Kelowna Gospel Mission (kelownagospelmission.ca)
This is one of the Central Okanagan’s largest service organizations dedicated to addressing homelessness in all its facets. They do this by feeding the hungry, sheltering the homeless, and helping those hurting. This is an organization that focus groups, or neighbourhood groups can serve at all year long.
- Serve in focus groups or as a neighbourhood. Begin the process on their website https://kelownagospelmission.ca/volunteer/
- Pray for KGM. Pray for the services provided throughout the year, with particular attention given to the winter and summer months, where cold snaps and heat waves become life-threatening to our homeless population.
Helen’s Acres (helensacres.com)
Helen’s Acres is a not-for-profit farm in the middle of our city. People can serve by working the land as they plant, weed, and harvest food. They feed Kelowna’s food insecure. This past year, they sent out nearly 80,000 lbs of produce and eggs to other organizations like the Food Bank, the Gospel Mission, and others. This is a great space to serve in the spring and summer. They close for the season in the fall and winter but still encourage prayer as they prepare for the next year.
- Serve in focus groups or as a neighbourhood. Fill out the form at https://www.helensacres.com/volunteer.
- Pray for Helen’s Acres. They have requested prayer surrounding “abundance.” Abundance in harvest, volunteers, finances and partnerships.
The Food Bank
The Central Okanagan Food Bank (COFB) is the largest food bank in the Interior of BC and provides nutritional food assistance to residents facing financial and food insecurity out of two locations, one in Kelowna and one in West Kelowna. As a charitable not-for-profit organization, they rely on the generosity of the community to support the work they do through the donation of food, funds, and time. This is a great place to serve, with regularity, as a neighbourhood group.
- Begin your volunteer journey here: https://cofoodbank.com/volunteer/
- Pray for their teams as they continue to feed the hungry in the greater Kelowna community.
Ki-Low-Na Friendship Society
The Ki-Low-Na Friendship Society was founded in 1974. They provide programs and services to all peoples in all four stages of life: infants/children, youth, adults, and Elders. They are always looking for volunteers to support many of their ongoing programs, as well as special events. The events are a great place to serve throughout the year with your neighbourhood group.
- To volunteer with Ki-Low-Na, email Pastor Carlee (email@example.com) to ask about upcoming events.
- Pray for the supports and services Ki-Low-Na offers throughout the community.